NEW: Connection at Mexico City? Worried about WiFi access? How to go to venue from Merida Airport?

See this travel guide for some tips.

International Airports

  • Merida's Manuel Crescencio Rejón International Airport (IATA airport code: MID) provides direct flights to several national and international destinations.
  • Cancun International Airport (IATA airport code: CUN).
  • Many more flights arrive at Mexico City International Airport (MEX), from where flights to MID are available via various airlines.

Transportation from the airports to the conference site

  • Taxi from the MID airport to Fiesta Americana Merida Hotel (12 km/7.5 miles, 15-25 minutes). We strongly recommend you only use a pay in advance taxi service. These are located at offices outside the Merida Airport exit. The fee is fixed to the Fiesta Americana Merida and it is 200 MXN ~11 USD. There is nothing else to pay afterward. We advice not to use one of the lone drivers as you may not get an official receipt and fee could vary. See the travel guide for some pictorial guide.
  • To reach Merida from Cancun (CUN airport) there is a bus trip (operated by company ADO) that takes about 4 hours. There is a bus terminal at the Fiesta Americana Merida Hotel. More info at:

Passports and Visas

One of the most frequently-asked questions received is whether someone needs a visa to enter Mexico. The answer depends not on where you are legally resident, but by which country your passport is issued.

Many people do not need to apply for a visa to enter Mexico for leisure and business trips of 80 days or less. These include passport holders from the U.S., Canada, the British and U.S. Virgin Islands, many (but not all) EU countries, Switzerland, Israel, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, and New Zealand as well as a number of South American countries including Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Venezuela.

If you don’t hold a passport from one of the countries on the 'exempt' list, you will need to apply for an entry visa before you travel to Mexico—even if you have legal residence in one of the ‘exempt’ countries, e.g. if you are holding a Colombian passport and have a U.S. residency visa.

You can find detailed information about passport requirements and required permits for visits on our Mexico Entry Requirements guide, which also includes links to Mexican consulates abroad should you need apply for a visa before you travel here.


The National Institute of Immigration offers support for issuing visas quickly for those who wish to enter the country.

An invitation letter for ISMAR delegates to the conference to be used in the visa application can be obtained from the conference secretariat. Please contact general_chairs [at]